Emerson Asset Management Suite AMS
Many plants have strict calibration practices in place to ensure instrumentation is within specification. This incurs considerable cost and to-date was considered best practice
In addition, most plants have a mainly paper-based calibration process, forms are filled in by the technicians and then the data is entered manually by administrators or the technicians. This is labour intensive and open for error.
What would be the benefit to site if the instrument itself was to report any deviation from specification / calibration prior to a fault? This could be in the form of:
- An Alarm on the maintenance PC or plant DCS
- An email to the on-duty engineer responsible for the shift or plant
- A SMS to a mobile phone / device
What would be the benefit?
- If this alarm not only identified the problem but also suggested a reason and solution?
- If all documentation associated with the instrument was to-hand electronically?
- If, in event of a replacement, device configuration stored centrally awaiting “Drag & Drop”?
- If device loop tests could be done from PC & DCS without operator in field with handheld?
- If all changes and user responsible for changes logged?
- If there were electronic transfers between calibrators and PC?
A recent technical article in “Read Out” reported on the experiences of a large multinational pharmaceutical company in implementing such a system
The 3 areas they focussed on were:
- Instrument Diagnostics: including shifting calibrations of non critical instruments from “On Schedule” to “On Demand”and relying on smarter diagnostics from instruments. They reduced their calibrations by 8% in the first year
- Paperless Calibration: to help shorten calibration time and eliminate non calibration support functions, such as document management, manual approvals and corrections of transcription. They reported an elimination of 21,000 sheets of paper per year
- Calibration Analysis: to examine historical data and help recommend interval extensions between calibrations, so long as existing data shows that previous calibrations met stringent corporate policy. They removed 234 calibrations from the schedule in the first year
So in review:
- Does your site need to perform “over regular” calibrations on all instruments?
- Could those non quality or safety critical instruments be moved to calibrate-as-required?
- Could calibration intervals of other instruments be extended, secure in the knowledge that online diagnostics are monitoring the instruments and will alert on any deviations or problems?
With Emerson Asset Management Suite AMS, all these benefits can be realised by a site.
- Avoid unplanned shutdowns
- Troubleshoot quickly
- Faster device commissioning
- Deliver an audit-ready plant
- Streamline calibrations, paperless calibrations
- Get mobile device alerts
- Utilise wireless technology
- Automate work notifications
Reduce Instrument Calibration Intervals: ESI Technologies would be delighted to discuss the potential for your site. Contact us on +353 21 4510900 / +44 1633 877505 or send us an enquiry and we will contact you