ESI are Rotating Equipment specialists, here are some of the most common problems we encounter for pump motors overheating
The motor requires excessive power:
- The discharge head has dropped below the rated point and the pump is pumping too much liquid – throttle the discharge to bring the duty point back onto the curve – trim the impeller – reduce VSD speed.
- The liquid is heavier than expected – check specific gravity & viscosity.
- If the stuffing box packing is too tight – re-adjust the packing. If it is worn, then replace the packing.
- Rotating parts are rubbing against each other – check for proper clearances.
- The impeller clearance is too tight – adjust the impeller.
Should the problem persists then the motor is suspect? Contact us if you require further assistance.