Autoclave safety discs (bursting discs) can suffer premature bursting due to the high cycle-rate from full vacuum to high pressure
During an analysis of premature bursting disc failure carried out for a BioPharma plant the following issues were uncovered:
- Safety discs were failing at a rate of 1-2 a week
- There is the cost of replacing the unit
- There is a cost of 2 man-hours to change each rupture disc
- There is a cost in terms of downtime and batch re-scheduling
- Until recently the standard sanitary reverse-acting bursting discs on the market were limited to a couple of thousand full pressure vacuum cycles
- Discs on autoclaves have typically had a limited lifespan as they frequently see about 7-10 pressure vacuum cycles per day, or even more, and on each cycle they tend to reach as close as possible to full vacuum
The problem of early failure and unplanned shutdowns caused by fatigue can be overcome by using a disc that was specifically designed for such applications.
CDC Sanitary Rupture Discs
These high-precision reverse-acting rupture discs (bursting discs) offer proven performance in excess of 5 million cycles at 95% operating ratio.
The added benefit is that the scoreline is downstream of the disc and out of the process thus offering added clean-ability.
Continental Disc Corporation (CDC) have pushed the boundaries and recent R&D developments allowed them to change the way discs are manufactured by using laser technology and coming up with a new opening mechanism
CDC has carried out intensive in-house testing and as standard has the most rigorous Lot Qualification Procedures in the Industry
This background and expertise in disc testing has allowed them to guarantee 5 million pressure – full vacuum cycles on the HPX rupture disc
For further information on rupture (bursting) discs, send us a product enquiry, or call: Myles Sheehy on +353 21 4510900 (Ireland); or Rob Leadbeater on +44 1633 877505 (UK)